|Related to||Realmatic Theory, Shards, Investiture|
|Featured In||Elantris, Mistborn, The Stormlight Archive, Sixth of the Dusk|
”At these points, Physical matter, Cognitive thought, and Spiritual essence become one--and a being can slide between Realms.
A perpendicularity is a stable junction between the Physical, Cognitive, and Spiritual Realms. They are used by worldhoppers such as Hoid to go from planet to planet. They are formed through the concentration of Investiture. Because of this, they are most commonly found at places where a Shard's power is focused, often in the form of a pool of liquid. A Shard can control where their perpendicularity manifests.
Perpendicularities are formed at locations with a large concentration of Investiture. The concentration of Investiture brings the three realms closer together and allows travel between them. The proximity of the realms also makes Soulcasting easier. They occur naturally when a Shard spends lots of time on a world. Generally, leaving a planet would cause the Shard's perpendicularity to disappear. As a result, their presence is often used to indicate the presence of a Shard. Special circumstances, however, can prevent the perpendicularity from disappearing, and there is at least one Shard that fits these circumstances. Aluminum can be used to take liquid from a perpendicularity, and it will stay Invested. They can be used to see into the Spiritual Realm.
- The pool below the Pits of Hathsin (Ruin's perpendicularity) was the main perpendicularity before it was destroyed by Kelsier. The other known perpendicularity, the Well of Ascension (Preservation's perpendicularity), was extremely dangerous during Ruin's imprisonment.
- The Pool (Devotion's perpendicularity) is currently the only known perpendicularity on Sel.
- Perpendicularities on Threnody are unstable, unpredictable, and have a morbid origin. They may possibly have something to do with the creation of Shades.
- First of the Sun
- First of the Sun is notable for being a minor Shardworld with a perpendicularity. It is, presumably, Patji's Eye.
- A pool in the Horneater Peaks is confirmed to be Cultivation's perpendicularity by Azure when she, Shallan, Adolin, and Kaladin get trapped in Shadesmar. Azure also mentions an unstable perpendicularity that is very dangerous (Possibly Honor's). Dalinar brings Honor's perpendicularity to him when he denies Odium and unites the Realms, charging nearby spheres with Investiture from the Spiritual Realm. It is widely speculated, but not confirmed, that Honor's Perpendicularity moves with the highstorm which is what recharges stormlight. This does not explain why the group traveling through Shadesmar looking for a perpendicularity doesn't attempt to access it, however. Transportation temporarily creates a miniature perpendicularity.
- Arcanum Unbounded - The Drominad System #
- Skyward Pre-Release AMA
— Arcanum - 2018-10-20#
- Oathbringer chapter 120 #
- /r/books AMA 2015
— Arcanum - 2015-06-24#
- Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing
— Arcanum - 2016-11-29#
- Kraków signing
— Arcanum - 2017-03-21#
- General Signed Books 2018
— Arcanum - 2018-02-22#
- Skyward Pre-Release AMA
— Arcanum - 2018-10-04#
- Mistborn: Secret History part 2 chapter 1 #
- Arcanum Unbounded - The Threnodite System #
- Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing
— Arcanum - 2016-12-06#
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Perpendicularity · Spiritweb · Resonance|
|Worldhoppers||Hoid · Khriss · Nazh · Iyatil · Mraize · Vasher · Vivenna · Galladon · Demoux · Baon · Felt · Nightblood|
|Other||Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|