The Stormlight Archive
The Stormlight Archive is an ongoing epic fantasy series by Brandon Sanderson. The series is estimated to require ten books to complete. The Stormlight Archive is a Cosmere story set on the world of Roshar. The first book in the series, The Way of Kings, was published in 2010. The second book, Words of Radiance, was published in 2014. Currently the third entry Oathbringer is scheduled for a November 2017 release.
Each book will have one major viewpoint character, with the other major characters complementing that character. In The Way of Kings, the main character is Kaladin, with Shallan and Dalinar as the other major viewpoints. The other main characters include Eshonai, Adolin, Jasnah, Navani, Szeth, Taravangian, the herald Taln, and one of the other Heralds of the Almighty.
The order of the first five books is as follows:
- The Way of Kings - Kaladin's flashbacks
- Words of Radiance - Shallan's flashbacks
- Oathbringer - Dalinar's flashbacks
- Szeth or Eshonai
- Szeth or Eshonai
The second set of five books will be completed after the second Mistborn trilogy. They are currently planned to have flashbacks from Jasnah, Lift, Shalash, Renarin, and Taln. Brandon has stated, "I have no problem having a main character who is actually dead, and their story told through flashbacks and the stories of the other characters."  Thus if a character is scheduled to have flashbacks in an upcoming book they are still able to die in subsequent books.
The Stormlight Archive novella Edgedancer was released in 2016. Chronologically it takes place after Words of Radiance, showing some events that couldn't have been shown by any of the normal viewpoint characters in the other books.
|2010||The Way of Kings||#1||Novel|
|2014||Words of Radiance||#2||Novel|
|2016||Edgedancer||#2.5||Novella||Released as a part of the Arcanum Unbounded collection|
|2017||Oathbringer||#3||Novel||Will be released on Nov 14, 2017||  |
- US/Canadian rights (#1-4) with Tor
- Bulgarian rights (#1) to Артлайн Студиос (Studio Art Line)
- UK rights (#1-4) to Gollancz
- German rights (#1-3) to Heyne
- French rights to Calmann-Levy
- Polish rights to MAG
- Turkish rights (#1) to Akılçelen Kitaplar (Arkadas)
- Spanish rights (#1) to Ediciones B
- Chinese rights (complex, #1) to 奇幻基地 (Fantasy Foundation)
- Chinese rights (simplified) to 史诗图书 (Epic Books)
- Japanese rights (#1) to 早川書房 (Hayakawa)
- Czech rights (#1) to Talpress
- Italian rights (#1) to Fanucci
- Way of Kings #7 NY Times best-seller
- Winner of the 2010 David Gemmell Legend Award for Best Fantasy Novel
- The Way of Kings hit the Times list in mass market, debuts at #25 on the chart
- Named one of the Best of 2010 by Fantasy Faction
- Named one of the Best of 2010 by Ranting Dragon
- Named one of the Best of 2010 by SFF World
- Named one of the Best of 2010 by Goodreads
- Words of Radiance #1 NY Times best-seller
- Stormlight is ten books?
— Theoryland - Nov 13th, 2010
- Brandon Sanderson Has Completed the First Draft of Oathbringer, Book 3 of The Stormlight Archive
— tor.com - 2016-12-09
- Have we met all of the point-of-view characters?
— Theoryland - July 2nd, 2011
- Stormlight 3's Flashback Character May Be Dalinar
— 17th Shard forums - June 16 2015
- Eshonai is probably 4
— Twitter - 28 Feb 2013
- Who's the focus of book two?
— Theoryland - Nov 8th, 2011
- How long is Stormlight?
— Theoryland - Dec 15th, 2011
- Who are the back 5?
— 17th Shard forums - 20 Feb 2015
- Will Renarin live?
— reddit.com - 2016-01-19
- State of the Sanderson: December 2014
— Brandon's website - Dec 18th, 2014
- "Calamity is Done" blog post
— Brandon's website - May 29th, 2015
- Brandon's Awful Agent page
— Awful Agent
- Words of Radiance debut 1st on NYT bestsellers
— Tor.com - MAR 12 2014